Wednesday 6 May 2009

What specific genre would you love to play?

I was thinking about what kind of game would I like to run for the next group I game with and of course that really depends on how many players there are and (possibly) what they want to play. I say possibly there because if there are lots of players available I can build a select group that want to play the game I want to run. At the moment I think I would like to run on of two specific* genres:

1. Street level Super Heroes in an Iron Age style. What does that mean for me?
The Super heroes themselves have no powers or at best powers that are fairly minor. Maybe they are stronger or faster than normal or even have powers like faster healing, low level telepathy or enhanced senses. There is definitely no flying, energy blasting or bullet resisting.
The stories are gritty and dark with no clear distinction between good and evil. Motivations are often more personal and heroes often share traits in common with villains.

2. Space Opera with Hard Science leanings. What does that mean for me?
There are powerful factions (could be governments or races or both) vying with each other for supremacy in a galaxy teaming with alien mysteries and super advanced technologies. Society has evolved but is recognizable in some areas, while totally different in others. Science is bent to allow the game to take place on planets in different planetary systems (faster than light travel), but it is not broken in the style of Star Wars or Star Trek; Aliens are not all humanoid English speakers and ships in space don't maneuver like aeroplanes.

While thinking about this, I wondered what I would really like to play. I have enjoyed lots of different genres, but would have to say that the one I would like to play the most would be a space opera like my second example.

What would you love to play?


*I say 'specific' because I want more than just 'Supers' or 'Science Fiction'.

9 comments:

  1. Do I really need to answer this?

    Are you really going to be suprised what I say.

    You know what it is, and I know that you know, so let's just pretend we've had this discussion and move on with our lives, ok?

    (It's supers btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but what kind of supers? Power level? Style?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genre isn't a useful distinction for me when it comes to games. i.e. I don't really care what genre, but I do care about what "style" of game.
    Might just be me though.

    BTW, this comment box appears not to be Linux friendly. The one on your other blog seems okay though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I thought it was pick one of the above, in which case I was choosing the street level supers, as I think that would be fun.

    Having said that, a Legion of Super Heroes game (far future sci fi supers) would also be good, and allow the mixing of the genres.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What style of game would you like Breughel?

    Legion of Super Heroes sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran a "Legion of Super-Heroes" style game once: it worked out very well because the players who wanted supers saw it as supers; the players who wanted space opera wanted space opera.

    I'd like to play a modern-day supernatural investigation game.
    Or play or run Scions with better rules.
    I'd like to keep running my powered up, [spoiler-censored], supers game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boosting.
    Boosted!

    ReplyDelete