Sunday 31 May 2009

Play by post

I have decided that I am going to run a game using this blog as the forum. It is going to be a street level, supers game set in a not too distant future earth city. Street level means that while you will be super powered compared to a regular person, you do not have the big flashy powers you might see in an X-Men or Justice League comic.

I would like you to fully flesh out the character's personality and motivations. It is good to know why he became a costumed vigilante and what drives him to keep at it, but I'd also like to know what his beliefs and opinions are in general. What does he think of the youth today? What does he think of the war on terror? What does he do for fun? Who are the most important people in his life

The world has supers in it, but they are uncommon. About 1 in every 10000 people has some form of super power, with less than 10% of those having the real big powers like flight, energy blasts or bullet resistance. Powers come from all manner of sources: random flukes of genetics, magical items, exposure to chemicals, alien experimentation, advanced science, extreme physical training or mystic study, plus many others.

One group of Powerful heroes is called the Watch. Their leader Stalwart seems almost indestructible, flies as fast as a fighter plane and once caught a crashing airliner and carried it safely down to a vacant block. The other members seem to be at the same level of power as him; there is a Telepath called Telos and a Speedster called Slipstream as well as a few others that are not as famous.

The watch has fought an alien invasion as well as three powerful groups of super powered villains this year alone, but they seem to busy to do anything about the rising gang crime on the streets below them. That's where you come in.

I am going to have some concepts driving the narratives and they are loyalty/betrayal and salvation. Think about how those will affect the character you build.

Lastly, if a few people get on board, I want you to make your characters as an established super team, so keep that in mind as well. I hope some people will go for it. If you need more to work with let me know. We can discuss ideas here or you can email me if you want clarification. It might be fun and all you will need to do is check in a few times a week to keep the narrative moving.





I have used the masculine pronoun here for two reasons:
1. he/she looks cumbersome
2. I am a 'he', so it is how I think.

7 comments:

  1. I'm interested if there are still any spots left. Email me with the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested, but unfortunately don't have the time to dedicate to it and don't want to have to quit out of it leaving you in the lurch.

    On a seperate note, with the current estimate of the world's population (6,783,421,727) there is approximately 680,000 supers operating in the world today, with approx 126,000 operating in China, 116,000 in India, 30,600 in the USA, 2,160 in Australia, and 1 in Tuvalu, the least populated country in the world.

    I'm now picturing Captain Tuvalu, and trying to work out his power set.

    Good luck with the game, and if I can find more time, then I'll try to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie I emailed you.
    Thanos 8(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in if you'll have me.

    ReplyDelete