Monday 25 May 2009

If I believe in the theory of game styles...

does that mean that people bringing different styles of play to the table will have expectations that don't match? If expectations don't match then I would expect that problems could occur. Maybe people wouldn't get into it if the style was wrong. I thought maybe I might list the people I have gamed with and then what style I would assign them.

Gamist - Goal orientated
Narrativist - Story focussed
Simulationist - Realism focussed

I decided to go with what was floating around rather than use the names I invented (The 3 Rs) because I had another look and they were basically the same.

2 comments:

  1. i definitely agree that if gaming styles don't match you can have problems (although they won't necessarily be insurmountable)

    an example that comes to mind is gamist players (who want things to be "fair") not being happy when the gm fudges dice roles (something that is fairly typical for a narrativist gm to do)

    mind you, in my experience even a lot of gamist types are still happy with the gm fudging rolls when it saves their pc :)

    to be fair, i think problems like the above that i've seen are an issue of expectation clashes rather than the players staunchly adhering to a play style. i certainly know i'd be a bit thrown if someone invited me to play d6 star wars and it turned out to be heavy on the g and s.

    just had a thought: i wonder if that's why some people play multiple different systems? while it's possible to play any style in any system, it's probably easier to make the mental jump to a new play style if you also are using a different set of rules (leaving aside that some rulesets make some play styles easier)

    not that chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people might argue that you can't play any style with any game. I wouldn't make that arguement because someone that runs a game you are in has a certain style and I know the players have at least one other style.

    It might be time to name names. 8)

    ReplyDelete